The Big Texan Steakhouse;
This is also the home of the Famous 72 oz. steak.; The way this works is just tell your wait staff person, what ever they call it now days, that you want to take the 72 oz steak challenge.; She / He / It will escort you to a table on a small stage at the front of a the; humongous main dinning room.; Beside you on the table is large digital count down clock.; If you consume the 72 oz. steak and all the trimmings that go with it in 60 minutes (one hour) the steak is free.; If you fail, you pay $70.00; (Updated 2007)
Big Texan Steak Ranch 72oz. Steak Facts and Stats
- Nearly 4800 people have succeeded in eating the 72oz. steak (since 1960).
- Almost 30,000 people have attempted to consume the free 72oz. steak (since 1960).
- Approximately two women each year successfully eat the steak of the 4 or 5 who try. About 50% of the women who try are successful.
- Richard LaFeare chomped his way through 2 steaks on the "Donny & Marie Osmond Show" in 2000.
- Frank Pastore, who was a professional pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds, ate the complete steak dinner in 9 and 1/2 minutes.
- The oldest person to eat the steak was a 69-year-old grandmother; the youngest, an 11-year old boy.
- Klondike Bill, a professional wrestler, consumed two complete dinners in the one hour time limit back in the 1960s.
The Real Restaurant Review
The wait staff was friendly and courteous.; The food was typical Texas fare with a few hard to find items like calf fries.;;
I usually try to order the most common dish available to the establishment.; In this case I chose the small Chicken Fried Steak.; (breaded veal for you Yankees); It looked so good I started eating before I realized that I had not taken a picture of the dish.; I still think you can tell that the "small" is really very "large".; It was very good, not as thin and beaten down as some restaurants are guilty of doing now days.;;
The baked potato potentially had every thing but the kitchen sink on it.; I chose just sour cream.;;
The ice tea and fresh bread flowed generously from our attractive waitress as needed.; She was very patient with us as we flashed pictures of food, the dining room and her.
;Texas Bob recommends this place.